Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Get organized and plan ahead

The biggest tool to save money is organization. I get the Sunday paper each week and clip coupons. I only clip what I will actually buy. More on coupons later. I keep everything organized in a binder divided into several categories so that I can find what I need very quickly. I plan a weeks worth of meals at a time and do one weekly grocery shopping trip and one weekly trip to target for everything else. There is a dry erase board on my fridge so when I run out of something I won't forget to get it on my next shopping trip. I have found that every extra trip I make to the store costs me more than planned because I can never seem to just run in and grab one thing. Along with the grocery list in hand I try to only spend on average $75 per week on groceries.

After watching the show "extreme couponing" on TLC last week I seem to be spending way too much but I am just an entry level couponer. With a one year old and a three year old running around the house I do not have hours each day to devote to this. I spend on average 1-2 hours each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment